'My return train ticket was wrongly refused': your rights when train travel goes wrong

Do you have an issue you need put right? Which? is here to help get your consumer problems sorted.

Dear Which?,

I recently purchased two 'Long Weekender' return tickets from London Paddington to Bath Spa. I used the Trainline app, which stated that these tickets allow you to return within three days. 

I travelled to Bath on the Friday - but when I tried to return to London the following day, I was told my tickets weren’t valid. On closer inspection, I saw that the return ticket was only valid for travel on the Monday, despite the app stating I could return within three days.

Staff from Great Western Railway at Bath Spa informed me that this is a common problem with the Trainline app, which has yet to be resolved. 

In the end, I had to buy new tickets back to London. I contacted Trainline, requesting a refund for the tickets, but I haven't heard back.

Can you help me get a refund please?

William King

Put to Rights

Hannah Downes consumer rights expert at Which? says:

We got in touch with Trainline and Great Western Railway on William's behalf.

Trainline told us the description for the tickets was issued by the train operator. It confirmed that it's now been provided with a new description of the T&Cs of the Long Weekender deal, which clarifies that return tickets are only valid on a Monday. It also apologised for William's experience and issued a full refund.

Great Western Railway did not respond to our request for a comment.

If you feel that a ticket website or app has provided confusing or incorrect information about a ticket, you can complain to the train operator and ticket seller. Collect as much evidence as possible to support your complaint.

If you’re unhappy with the operator’s response, or if it fails to respond within 40 days, you can escalate your complaint to the Rail Ombudsman, which can take up to 90 days to review your claim. If you’re still unhappy, you can go to the small claims court, but we recommend seeking legal advice before doing so.

Get in touch. 

Please be aware that we cannot help with, or respond to every email that we receive. The inbox is monitored periodically during office hours, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.



source https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/my-return-train-ticket-was-wrongly-refused-your-rights-when-train-travel-goes-wrong-anYwl6Z7xZ06
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post