'I paid for an experience day, but the company went out of business': your refund rights when companies go bust

Do you have an issue you need put right? Which? is here to help get your consumer problems sorted.

Dear Which?,

I recently booked a classic car experience via the company Five Star Days. 

The experience was to be provided by Great Driving Days, but when we arrived its office was closed.

I spoke to a tradesperson in the neighbouring building who told me that some of the cars had mechanical problems and were unavailable. I contacted Five Star Days, but was told that as more than 30 days had passed since my original booking, I must instead contact Great Driving Days.

When I went to do so, it emerged that Great Driving Days had ceased operating and had been placed into liquidation. I got back in touch with Five Star Days and was offered an alternative experience up to the value of my original booking (£94) or the option to pay the difference for a more expensive experience.

I can’t find anything I’m interested in at a similar price. Is there any way I can get a refund?

Sarah (name changed)

Put to Rights

Tali Ramsey, consumer rights expert at Which?, says:

We contacted Five Star Days on your behalf. It agreed to provide you with a £94 gift card with Virgin Experience Days, a larger experience provider, which you’ve accepted.

Thankfully, your situation has been resolved, but getting a refund when a company has gone bust can be tricky. First, customers should submit a claim to the company’s administrator - but there’s no guarantee of getting the money back.

Get in touch. 

Please be aware that we cannot help with, or respond to every email that we receive. The inbox is monitored periodically during office hours, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.



source https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/your-refund-rights-when-companies-go-bust-a85EW1o1snJY
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post