Dyson CameraJet toothbrush: expensive gimmick or the future of toothbrushing?

The Dyson CameraJet electric toothbrush officially launched on 1 September and caused a stir due to mixed reviews and a ‘component issue’ that affected certain batches. I tried it out for a month to see what all the fuss is about.

The main selling point of this toothbrush is an AI-powered camera built into the brush head that identifies gaps between your teeth, allowing a small but powerful jet to shoot mouth rinse and floss with precision as you brush.

SQUIRREL_TEXT_50030715, it will be the most expensive electric toothbrush we've tested. 

While it goes through our rigorous lab tests, where dental experts measure exact plaque removal over several weeks, here are my first impressions after using the Dyson CameraJet at home for a month. 

: see which toothbrushes topped our tests out of the 22 electric toothbrushes we've tested

Dyson CameraJet: first impressions

It's a premium-feeling toothbrush. It's slightly wider and heavier than most electric toothbrushes, especially with the added mouth rinse tank, but it's evenly weighted and comfortable to hold.

There are more steps compared to setting up a standard electric toothbrush, but the process was fairly straightforward. I plugged in the charging dock, filled the tank with the provided mouth rinse (mouth rinse and toothpaste are included in the initial purchase, then £8.49 each for replacements) and put the toothbrush on charge. 

Next, I set up my account on the MyDyson app by using the QR code on the packaging. It was quick and easy, and the app itself is sleek and intuitive.

Once charged and filled with mouth rinse, I started my first Brush & Auto-Jet session using the app's guided cleaning feature. This was definitely a new experience from just using a standard electric toothbrush. 

The jets are powerful, come often and create quite a mess, especially when the app tells you to ‘part your lips wide’ while brushing your front teeth. My mirror was left covered in a spray of mouth rinse, toothpaste and saliva. 

Despite the mess, once the three-minute cycle ended, my teeth felt very clean and fresh. The toothpaste and mouth rinse taste pleasant, although the non-foaming properties create a slightly different brushing experience that lets the camera see better. 

Using the app for guided cleaning was smooth, and I felt it contributed to a thorough clean by breaking my mouth into six sections and telling me how many seconds to spend on each area. 

How does the Dyson CameraJet work?

Dyson CameraJet toothbrush

The CameraJet toothbrush has an integrated 100k-pixel micro lens built into the neck, just under the brush head. 

Using Dyson’s specialised AI technology Gap Optical Targeting, the camera detects, tracks and predicts where the gaps in your teeth are, enabling precision jet bursts of mouth rinse to be fired from the device, liquid-flossing your teeth. 

This feature worked fine most of the time; however, there were a few occasions when I received a ‘lens blocked’ notification that would limit the jets from working. Removing the brush head and rinsing everything under the tap usually fixed this quickly. 

It's also quite loud while the jets are firing, so I would advise against using them if you're in an en-suite bathroom with someone asleep in the bedroom.

You can view the camera feed live on the app. This is live-only streaming, and footage isn't stored on the device or in the app. I tried this a handful of times, but the footage wasn't very clear or useful to my untrained eye. 

The mouth rinse is stored in an ‘anti-gravity’ tank. A balloon inside the tank inflates as the liquid is used. It maintains pressure and prevents air pockets, allowing the jets to keep working regardless of the angle the toothbrush is used at.

I found this feature a bit temperamental. There would be occasions when the balloon would deflate overnight between uses or not inflate properly while I was brushing. This would cause the jet to shoot out air instead of the mouth rinse, or not shoot at all, prompting me to refill the tank.

Interested in water flossing? Go to the  to see which ones we'd recommend and which to avoid

Is the CameraJet travel-friendly?

Dyson CameraJet toothbrush and charging doc

The box includes a travel case that fits the whole charging/refill dock. At around 30cm tall, this is considerably larger than a normal travel case that only fits the toothbrush, and it would take up a lot of space in a hand luggage bag. 

The case also includes the refill tank, which holds 200ml of mouth rinse. I wouldn't want to risk travelling with this amount of liquid unsealed in my bag, so I'd need to empty it before taking it on the move. 

This would either waste the mouth rinse (which isn't cheap at £8.49 for 400ml) or require an inconvenient step to store the excess liquid elsewhere.

The toothbrush has a simple cable charger, which is much more portable. You would need to store the toothbrush elsewhere while travelling, but this makes things easier. You can then fill the mouth rinse tank by pouring it in manually, rather than using the dock. 

What's the CameraJet's battery like?

Dyson CameraJet toothbrushes

Because of the additional technology in the device, the battery drains fairly quickly. The app shows a percentage reading that drops in 5% increments, and I found that each brush/jet session use about 5% of the battery. 

That means the toothbrush lasts about 10 days without a charge, which isn't bad given the extra functionality. The brush has two chargers, a charging dock and a simple Pogo-pin cable that attaches magnetically. Both use USB-C. 

However, the real issue I found is refilling the tank with mouth rinse, as you need to do this every few sessions, and it requires the dock to be plugged in. 

If you're like me and don't have a USB-C charging port in your bathroom, you'll have to make regular trips to wherever you have the dock plugged in to refill the mouth rinse, which can become an extra chore.

Dyson CameraJet: my First Look verdict

Finn using the Dyson CameraJet toothbrush

The toothbrush is well made, and it brushes effectively. If using the toothbrush were enough to completely replace flossing, I'd argue it's a much easier and preferable experience than the usual two minutes of brushing followed by flossing. 

However, after speaking to my dentist (I coincidentally had a check-up a few weeks ago), he said it wouldn't be as thorough as using an interdental brush/stick or floss, and that I should still use them after brushing.

Then there's the issue of the features being a bit temperamental. Inconsistencies with the jets firing due to a blocked lens or the ‘anti-gravity’ tank failing to inflate, along with the mess created from the jets when they do work, make the experience a bit of a faff. I've enjoyed using the CameraJet, and it has a unique selling point, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. 

See the  from our tests to see which are most effective at cleaning and whitening teeth

source https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/dyson-camerajet-toothbrush-expensive-gimmick-or-the-future-of-toothbrushing-aq91X7Y4NAzP
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post